Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Help-- possibly a classic in the making

Wow.
All I can say is: WOW!


Ok... I'll say a little more than that.

This book was recommended to me a year ago, but being the skeptic, cynical, literature snob. I told the person that "brain candy" is not my thing. I am a bit snobbish... ok... let's be honest... I'm a HUGE snob when it comes to what I classify as literature. Very few things written in the last 40 years would I consider with my academic time. Yes, there is a time and a place for brain candy books-- but I don't usually "waste" my time on it because I'm an English teacher for Pete's sake. I should be reading quality literature off of the AP list at all times, right? :)

However, when I heard that NPR (yes... I'm a total dork) said that the book was the next greatest book since To Kill a Mockingbird, I thought, "hmm... maybe I should give it a shot."

So, I took my cynical self to Barnes and Noble, looked around to make sure no one was watching as a pulled something off of the New Bestseller display... I didn't want to tarnish my reputation, after all. And I started reading it Monday.... and I have a REALLY difficult time putting it down!

NPR wasn't kidding... I foresee teenagers hating their English teachers for assigning this book to them, but in the end coming away truly learning something (if they let themselves), just like I did with To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in high school. WOW!

The book takes place in the 1960's in Mississippi-- right smack dab in the middle of the Civil Rights movement. It is political, it is racial, but it is also hysterical! It's told from different perspectives of women in this town-- two black maids, and one white socialite. All three women exhibit some type of humor, but Miss Skeeter (the white woman) has a very dry sense of humor -- I love that! At one point in the novel she is describing what her friend's husband does for a living-- he's an accountant. Apparently things are going well and she says, "I hear Raleigh's new accounting business isn't doing well. Maybe up in New York or somewhere it's a good thing, but in  Jackson, Mississippi, people just don't care to do business with a rude, condescending a**hole." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And that is the only time she ever reveals her opinion of the man. I love it! :)

The book is also heartbreaking and very suspenseful. If it lacks anything I would say that it lacks symbolism, which is often present in "classics"-- but this book is BY FAR the best modern piece of fiction I've read in a LONG time-- another one would be The Secret Life of Bees.

If you have time this summer after all of your AP reading... I HIGHLY suggest this book! WOW! A-freaking-MAZING!

5 comments:

  1. i love it when books surprise me like that!
    its nice to have a book like that once in a while.
    so um who's NPR?
    and who wrote The Help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NPR is National Public Radio (all talk-- it's really grown-up and boring)
    Sorry about not putting the author! Silly me!
    Her name is Kathryn Stockett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love it when books surprise me like that! I will have to add that to my list of books I plan to read. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite movies, and books always seem to be better than movies, so I can't wait to read it! I'm glad that you mentioned liking it so well, because that only makes me want to read it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,
    It made me think of SLoB (that's a bad abbreviation for a book haha), but it is very different. One thing I LOVE about the book that is different from SLoB is that Help is told from several character's perspectives-- you get inside their heads-- instead of just one. I loved that! I thought the author did a great job of giving each of the women their own "voice", so they didn't sound like the same person.
    I LOVE SLoB, though! Great book, and it also reminded me of To Kill a Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really make me want to read this book! Oh fun fact, I told my mom how much you liked this book, and she started reading it and is in love with it haha. I'm going to have to read it after she's done.

    ReplyDelete