Thursday, June 2, 2011

Robinson Crusoe

So... I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've never read this before. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I wasn't really expecting to like it... which is probably why I put off reading it for so long. I'm really not into the survival-manly books like this. However, as I said before, I really am enjoying the read.

Defoe goes into a lot of detail about how Crusoe takes care of himself. And there is a certain suspension of disbelief that has to happen because it is a bit far fetched that all of those things just fell into place so that he could live for 20+ years all alone.  I kind of thought I would have met Friday by now. I know enough about the book to know that he get a friend named Friday who is a native. But I'm almost done with the book and no Friday yet. I'm figuring he's probably one of the cannibals that comes to the island. I'm just trying to figure out how they become friends.

I'm also surprised at how religious the book is. Crusoe has the religious epiphany, and though he was never a Christian in his "normal" life, he begins reading the Bible and converts. It makes me want to read up on the author and figure out what his background with religion is.

No comments:

Post a Comment