Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Brain Candy for the Summer

Usually during the course of a summer I allow myself one or two books that I classify as "brain candy"-- basically they have no literary merit and were usually written for only entertainment value, not great writing skill. Last summer I brushed up on my Harry Potter, and the summer before that I stooped as low as the Twilight series (don't judge me, my boss at Barnes and Noble asked me to lead a teen reading group). This summer's brain candy was The Hunger Games. Though not literary genius, it was a very good book. I compare it to The Handmaid's Tale that we read last year in AP. It's a futuristic society were the government controls everything. It's a series and I may pick up the other two at some point this summer, but I'm not really sure if it's worth my time. I read the almost 350 pages in about three days, and I'm a slow reader-- so it must be a pretty basic book.. I am interested in what happens to the protagonists, though.
One thing I really don't like is the names of the characters... really?  Katniss? Peeta? All I can think about is having a pita sandwich when I read that guy's name, and Katniss makes me think of catnip. :) Have any of you read this book? I'd be interested in what you think of the following books in the series--- are the worth the money?

2 comments:

  1. i started reading this book but i never got to finish it...i think i got to the point where Katniss was picked to be one of the kids to go fight or something. I never really thought about picking it up again but i hear theres going to be a movie about it and there are a lot of good reviews for it so i might just start it back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i started to read that book as well. never got to finish it but what i did read i liked. i may have to pick it up again eventually.

    ReplyDelete